Tuesday 14 July 2009

A Thousand Splendid Suns

I had promised myself to read a book, not just a book but a book by Khaled Hosseini, a long, long time ago. But somehow I just didn't get to it. I was either utterly busy with school or I preferred another book over this one. So I kind of forgot about it.

Last week I was having my yearly clean-up. When sorting out my bookcase I saw this book that I got as gift for my birthday last year, a book left untouched. Since school is over and I don't have much to do these days, I decided to read 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'. I started reading not knowing what to expect as it was my first book that I was going to read by Khaled Hosseini. Once I started reading the book I couldn't put it away. I literally read half the book overnight. I didn't sleep a wink. It was gripping, instructive, suspenseful, heartbreaking and unforgettable.

I rarely cry or have outburst of emotions in public but when reading this book I had to sweep a few tears. It's horrendous what is done to the two main characters Mariam and Laila even though it's fiction but this is reality, a faithful mirror of the current situations, which many do not know, realise or acknowledge.

''A Thousand Splendid Suns is Hosseini’s powerful follow-up to The Kite Runner. This time, the focus is on women. Two women born a generation apart witness the destruction of their home and family in war-torn Kabul, losses incurred over the course of thirty years that test the limits of their strength and courage.''

Before I was quite ignorant about Afghanistan until my pitiful darkness was lit by this book or his books I should say as I've just finished his first novel: The Kite Runner, after falling in love with his stories and writing style. You must read both of Khaled's eye-opening books if you haven't. They're splendid!

F.S ©

2 comments:

sd said...

i read The Kite Runner, & I really enjoyed it. I haven't gotten to this book yet, but when I get a spare moment, I'll definitely take a peek at it.

F.S said...

You should really... It's beyond!!! I personally enjoyed ATSS more than The Kite Runner, but nevertheless they're both great!